Saturday, 13 June 2015

Favorite Book Characters Tag

Remember when I did that screen characters tag? Well, this is the exact same thing, but with books! I was tagged by the lovely Emily @ Emily Etc. for this round of faves.

The rules are simple. Link back to the person who tagged you, list your top ten favorite characters (from books, in this case), and tag 10 people! Or don't, because tagging is hard. ^.^

On to the list! I only did seven, because this one was MUCH harder to do than the tv one. X) Once again, these are in no particular order.

~*~*~*~*~*~

One
Sherlock Holmes


Of course! I love the original Holmes stories. He's probably my favorite fictional character ever, whether in screen or book form. Here's my little Sherlock-Holmes-type collection:


Top tier, left to right: a Holmes-themed hidden object game, seasons 1&2 of Elementary, the two RDJ movies, seasons 1-3 of BBC's Sherlock, the complete collection of Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes
Bottom tier, left to right; The Hound of the Baskervilles/The Sign of Four, A Study in Sherlock (not canon), The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, the Return of Sherlock Holmes, the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sunny gave me a better copy of this once, BUT DO YOU THINK I CAN FIND IT?? No.)
Not pictured; a game called Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment that we downloaded from the PlayStation Store that was actually REALLY good, and a couple of really old (and not by Doyle) books that haven't been touched for many years and are covered in dust. 

edit: OMG I JUST REALIZED!! MY CAT'S NAME IS SHERLOCK!! I DIDN'T EVEN PUT HIM IN THE PICTURE ON PURPOSE, HE JUST KNEW!! HAHAHAHAHA

ANYWAY! Yeah. Sherlock. Love him. XD

Two
Edmund Merrick


He's in the back, there. Only picture of him that there is, but oh well. ;) I just love this book, and Merrick is like the best part of it. He's so cool! A reformed pirate trying to live for God, now with a commission from the governor to fight enemy ships, who finds a lady stranded on an island and must protect her from his crew? What's not to love? Plus, he's ripped *COUGH* I mean.....intelligent. Yes, both of those. XD

Three
Captain Valithor


From The Door Within trilogy.


This picture is pretty close to what I imagine when I read these books. A sword though, not a mace. 
Although older, the Captain is by no means slower or weaker than the soldiers he trains, and he takes no crap from anyone, either. He also has the BEST, most ridiculous insulting terms to call his underlings. Let me give you an example or two:

"ON YOUR FEET! You beslobbering, beef-witted barnacles!"
"Thou errant, earth-vexing mumbler!"
"Thou weepy sack of wraith-clottle!"

And so on. The Captain always seems to be yelling, but he's got a big heart full of compassion to go along with his selfless bravery and shrewd intelligence. He's definitely worthy of his position.

Four
Abby Kendall


I used to LOVE these books when I was younger. I still do love them, though I haven't read them in a long time. Abby is the main character of this series, and man do you root for her. She's sweet, spirited, smart, and....slow. Literally. Her legs just can't get up to speed, and she tires very fast. Not because she's out of shape, but because....that's just the way she's built! 
Which makes the stakes of these books all the higher, because she is constantly needing to run away from people. Kidnappers, murderers, pirates, enraged tribesmen, DRAGONS (no, these are not fantasy books). She's got to use her wits to outsmart people, rather than outrunning them. 
Oh, and you know how not a lot of books today have actual functional families? These books have that, and it's awesome. They're a really fun read, every time. ^.^

Five
Millard Nullings


I really like the Peculiar Children books. They're so interesting, and so well done! In a house full of "peculiar children," Millard is probably my fave. He's got sass and snark, and he's pretty darn smart, also. He's almost always naked, but what's the use of being invisible if your clothes give you away?

Six
Elizabeth Bennet


Gotta go with a classic! For being a woman with a mind and will of her own in a time when an advantageous marriage was all a woman was expected to strive for,  Elizabeth Bennet wins the Awesome Award. Yes, she still got married, and to a very wealthy man (spoilers lol) but because there was mutual love, not because one of them wanted the other. 

Seven
Nancy Drew


The audacious, snoopy hero (you know what? girls can be heroes. I hate the word "heroine." Because you know what that is? A REALLY BAD DRUG.) of oh so many stories over the years. AND LOOK AT ALL MY NANCY DREW GAMES YAY!


I'm slowly, slowwwly working on collecting (or at least playing) all of them. ^.^

Oh, and here's all our Nancy Drew books, too. XD


There's some Hardy Boys there, too. X)

~*~*~*~*~*~
Whew! I kept forgetting about this tag, and then having a mini heart attack when I remembered, like, "OH NO I FORGOT THE TAG!" So, here it is, Emily! :D Sorry there's only 7. X)

As for tagging, anyone who wants to ramble about their favorite characters is certainly welcome to do this! It's free to all! *throws the tag into the wind like confetti and watches you sputter as it hits your face*

9 comments:

  1. Nancy Drew! I used to read those all the time. She was my favorite. :) They had almost all the books at the library.

    Yay for Sherlock! I've recently been reading the books and love them so much. The book Sherlock is even better than the film Sherlock. And your cat is named after him, that is too cool! XD

    Lizzie Bennet will forever and always be one of my very favorites. She's so energetic and funny. She learns from her mistakes with grace and tries to do better. Who doesn't like Lizzie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually read that many Nancy Drew books. I was really easily scared when I was a kid, and for some reason, Nancy Drew books kinda freaked me out. XD

      RIGHT??? I love book-Holmes better than any screen-Holmes. And haha, my cat, yes. As you can see, I'm a pretty big SH fan. X)

      Have you seen the BBC miniseries Pride and Prejudice? IT IS SO AMAZING!! Much better (in my not-so-humble opinion) than the Keira Knightley movie. ;D

      Delete
  2. I am so jealous of your Sherlock collection, It's marvelous, I have all the Basil Rathbone as Sherlock ones too. I mean your cat is named Sherlock, awesome. Nancy Drew is fantastic my sister has almost all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Not everything there is mine; the tv shows, RDJ movies, and "not pictured" things are family property. But the rest belongs to ME! XD And really?? AMAZING! I don't think I know anyone else who has seen those. X)
      I love the Nancy Drew computer games; have you (or your sister) ever played any?

      Delete
  3. I kind of want to be Nancy Drew when I grow up. No shame. She's so corny, but so great. My sister just downloaded the new ND game, but seeing as it's on her laptop and I'm working like a crazy woman, I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.

    Do you think I'd like those Peculiar Children books? I keep seeing them and thinking I should read them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good ol' Nancy Drew. X) And lol to the new game. If we lived in America, and we'd pre-ordered the game, we could've won a trip to Reykjavik, Iceland. XD

      *tries to think like Sunny* Hmm, idk! They're not as spooky as they seem, so if you go in expecting to be scared, you may be disappointed. X) But I really like the integration of the pictures into the story; I think it's super cool. Maybe you'd feel the same? And I find the story itself to be interesting (which is a must for any good book lol), soo.....idk. All I can say is that *I* like it, and you'll have to read it for yourself to find out. XD

      Delete
    2. I can lend you the first two (I don't think the last one's out yet) if you want. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm only really familiar with Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes, but I haven't really read any of these! I can only admire your choices from afar. Still, they're very cool pics, and I'm glad you enjoy them so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, some of them are a little obscure. X) But YAY for another Sherlock Holmes fan! :D

      Delete